1 kg of Extra Medium Couscous
1 kg of lamb meat
500g of carrots, zucchini, red squash and cabbage,
3 potatoes optional
100 g of dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
Teaspoon of black pepper, ginger, saffron, paprika, pinch of cinnamon and salt
1 tablespoon of ghee
1 cup of olive oil
- Wash and prep your vegetables
- Brown the meat or chicken with the oil, onion, tomatoes and spices in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue cooking, uncovered and stirring frequently, for about 10 to 15 minutes, until a very thick and rich sauce begins to form
- Add the carrots to the stew; cover and allow them to cook for 15 minutes while you work with the couscous.
- Add the remaining vegetables to the pot: the squash or pumpkin and the potatoes if wanted.
- Top with a little water if the level has dropped below the vegetables.
- After an hour, add the zucchini and two more cups of water. Continue to cook on medium high heat for about 15 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning–it should be well flavored, a bit salty and peppery.
- Serve on top of couscous.